|Price:||This software version and documentation are currently Draft, Confidential, & Copyright Dean Blower 2016 All Rights Reserved.|
|Download:||DOWNLOAD – Please register your details before downloading this software|
|Software authors:||Blower, D.; Riginos, C.; Ovenden, J.|
|Release date:||August 2016|
|Version:||Ver 22.214.171.124 b2. This is the second beta test version. For details on what’s new in the latest version, download the CHANGE-LOG file here.|
|Download format:||244MB exe file (self-guided installation)|
NeOGen-Power (genetic Ne for Overlapping Generations Power analysis; pronounced Neogen power) is point-&-click genetic effective population size (Ne) and demographic modelling software. The software, initially designed for sharks, is applicable to many overlapping-generation species with moderate to low population sizes and fecundity (such as mammals). NeOGen-Power provides a cohesive genetic Ne analysis and population simulation framework that simulates both the demography and genetic composition of a population, given a small subset of fundamental species-specific life-history, demographic and genetic priors. NeOGen-Power then guides the researchers in-silico to establish a tractable sampling regime, resulting in the numbers of samples and loci required to give accurate and precise genetic Ne estimates when empirical sampling is performed in the field.
The Alpha and Beta versions of this software and documentation are currently Draft, Confidential, & Copyright Dean Blower 2016 All Rights Reserved. This is to protect our intellectual property until the software is accepted for publication (currently in review with journal Methods in Ecology & Evolution). When accepted for publication the software will be free and open source. Future stable releases (i.e. not alpha or beta test versions) will be licensed with a GNU General Public License (GPL) license: https://opensource.org/licenses/GPL-3.0
The minimum computing requirements for running NeOGen-Power are as follows.
A PC with any of the Microsoft Windows operating system versions listed below installed. It is assumed that if you are able to run one of these operating systems, you have enough computing power to run the NeOGen-Power software.
- Windows 7, 8, & 10, 64-bit (32-bit not available yet)
- Minimum 4GB RAM
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package – This is typically already installed on many Windows machines. If it is already installed, the NeOGen Setup will attempt to install it.
- Approximately 1 GB free hard disk space (not including user data space requirements).
- Best viewed a screen resolution 1280×768 with text size of 100% (i.e. not enlarged).
- Mouse or compatible pointing device.
- User-specified PDF-viewer (eg. Adobe Acrobat or equivalent)
Details about the software (without downloading the entire software package) are available here.
- The user manual (Guide_0)
- An overview, workflow and example (Guide_1)
- The detailed design, usage and validation of the software (Guide_2).
For installation details, download the README file here.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Is there a version of NeOGen available for Linux and/or Macs?
A: No. Hopefully, we can supply a version compatible with your OS in the next versions.
Q: How do I get a copy of NeOGen-Power?
A: Click on the Download link above to open the NeOGen-Power registration page. Register yourself as a user of NeOGen-Power (enter your details in the spaces provided and click the submit button), then download the NeOGen-Power installation file (Setup-NeOGen-Power.exe).
Q: How do I get NeoGen-Power started once I have downloaded the installation file?
A: Please use the following installation procedure:
- Download the Setup EXE file.
- Double-click the Setup EXE to start installation.
- Specify the installation drive & folder. Using the default folder is recommended. Do NOT use a windows system reserved folder e.g. C:\Windows\Program Files, as security permissions may prevent correct NeOGen operation. Install to a permanently attached drive. Installing to a removable drive, e.g. USB drive, is not recommended.
- Follow the prompts to finalise the installation. Use the default values for best results.
- Double-click the NeOGen-Power shortcut (on the desktop, in the start menu, or in the installation folder) to start NeOGen. Dont start it with the NOGP.exe.
- You’re done! Reading the guides will help. Guide 1 is the best place to start. Guide 0 is displayed alongside the main app when its launched.
Q: How do I uninstall NeoGen-Power?
A: Uninstall NeOGen-Power from the Windows Programs & Features Control Panel screen by clicking on the NeOGen-Power entry. Alternatively, clicking on the unins000.exe in the installation folder will start the uninstall process.
Please send any questions or feedback to Contact Us